Browse the Etsy Shop

Monday, March 5, 2012

Art in April | Dogwood Arts Festival events

Is it really March already? I can't believe I haven't posted anything since before the holidays. If you live in the Southeast you have probably been experiencing the same crazy weather I have been here in Knoxville. Tornadoes, snow and balmy 70 degree days all in the same week got me thinking about the saying "In like a lion and out like a lamb" that I learned as a child. I found this post from the Farmers' Almanac website of interest and thought I would share it below. April is right around the corner and with it come the events of the Dogwood Arts Festival including the Market Square Art Fair taking place on April 13 through 15 and the Art DeTour on April 28 and 29.. I participate in both of these events and always cross my fingers that the weather will be cooperative. It rarely is, but I can hope, can't I?
 
Mark your calendar for the Dogwood Arts Festival events and come on out and visit me and Sassy Glass Studio. Both events are free and lots of fun. I mean, how could watching me work in my glass studio not be fun! I look forward to seeing you soon!



___________________________

The Truth Behind “In Like a Lion out Like a Lamb”


“If March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb?”
Is there any truth to this saying??? Weather sayings are as colorful as our imagination. While many sayings are based on careful observations and turn out to be accurate, others are merely rhymes or beliefs of the people who came before us.
Those people often believed that bad spirits could affect the weather adversely, so they were cautious as to what they did or did not do in certain situations. Those beliefs often included ideas that there should be a balance in weather and life. So, if a month came in bad (like a lion), it should go out good and calm (like a lamb).
With March being such a changeable month, in which we can see warm spring-like temperatures or late-season snowstorms, you can understand how this saying might hold true in some instances. We can only hope that if March starts off cold and stormy it will end warm and sunny, but the key word is hope. However, this saying seems be to more of a rhyme  rather than a true weather predictor.
Some other March related lore includes:
A dry March and a wet May?Fill barns and bays with corn and hay.
As it rains in March so it rains in June.
March winds and April showers? Bring forth May flowers.
What will the weather be like in March?  Check out your forecasts here.
__________________________________
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter


1 comment:

Art Fist said...

These are great, was wondering if you wanted to feature some of your best works as part of the artfist.org artists' showcase.
We usually put together 4-8 images of your best works with links to your shop. Get in touch if it is something you'd be interested in.
Jon, artfist.org